Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tiller or jackhammer needed here?

Is it going to work, Tyler?

Can Mom handle this bronc?

Mom...we...don't think it's accomplishing much.

The encouragers abound...

Tyler gives it one more shot before we park the thing.

Our soil was so hard, we decided to give up on this rented tiller. It was a like wrestling match with a wild steer. Tyler finally borrowed a disk from a friendly neighbor, hooked it onto the tractor, and disked up the rock-hard soil. We have officially started our garden, but there is still more to plant.

2 comments:

OKGardners said...

I would have never dreamed that your soil would be that hard. I guess drought conditions cause that. I'm glad Tyler had the gumption to think of borrowing the disk from your neighbor. I know all of you are anxious to plant in that family garden.

Love, Mom and Ed

Bill Russell said...

There's just nothing quite like this Southern soil with all the clay. I've experienced that in Enid and Stillwater OK and now in Texas. MN soil was good dirt and easy to work except for all the boulders found when digging.

I hope you wind up with a great garden. I've been working the Texas clay and have green beans, tomatos and a few other things planted. I can't wait for the fresh home-grown delights!

Love and blessings to you all!
Dad